Natriche Softgels containing Omega 3 Fishoil, what are the advantages?
Fish oil is the fat or oil that is obtained from fish. It is mostly obtained from fat fish like herring, tuna, anchovy and mackerel. But sometimes it is produced out of the liver of other fish, as is the case with cod-liver oil. The Word Health Organization (WHO) recommends to eat 1-2 portions of fish a week. The Omega-3 fat acids in fish offers a lot of health benefits, including supporting the protection against a number of diseases.
But if you don’t eat 1-2 portions of fish a week, fish oil supplements could help you to get enough omega-3 fat acids.
About 30% of the fish oil exists of omega-3 fat acids, while the other 70% contains other fats. Unprocessed fish oil also contains some vitamin A and D. It is important to note that the kind of omega-3 fat acids that are found in fish oil have bigger health benefits than the omega-3 fat acids that are found in some plant-based sources.
The most important omega-3 fat acids in fish oil are eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), while the omega-3 in plant-based sources are mostly alpha-linoleic acids (ALA). Although ALA is an important essential fat acid, EPA and DHA have a lot more health benefits.
Another reason why it is important to gain enough omega-3’s, is because the western diet replaced a lot of omega-3’s by different fats like omega-6’s. This disturbed ratio of fat acids can contribute to a number of western lifestyle diseases.
Below there are a few of the many health benefits of fish oil listed.
1. Fish oil can be good for the health of the heart.
Heart diseases are the most important cause of death worldwide. Studies have shown that people who eat a lot of fish, have a much lower change of heart diseases. There are a lot of risk factors for heart diseases and many of these appear to have been reduced by the consumption of fish or fish oil. The advantages of fish oil for the health of the heart include:
• Cholesterol levels: it can increase the HDL-cholesterol (the “good”) levels. However, it doesn’t seem to lower the level of the LDL-cholesterol (the “bad”).
• Triglycerides: it can lower triglycerides by around 15-30%.
• Blood pressure: even in a small dosage it helps lower the blood pressure of people with high blood pressure.
• Plaques: it can prevent the creation of plaques in the arteries and ensure that they become hard by those who already have them , so the arteries become more stable and safe.
2. Omega 3 fish oil can support the condition of the eyes and help with the protection of the eyesight in the old age.
Just like the brain, omega-3 fats are an important part of the structure of the eye. Studies have shown that people who don’t get enough omega-3’s have a greater risk of eye diseases. Moreover the condition of the eye start to decrease at an older age, which can lead to age-related macular degeneration (MD or AMD). Eating fish seems to help prevent AMD.
3. Omega 3 fish oil is good for the skin.
DHA is a building block for the skin. It is responsible for the condition of the cell membranes, that make for a large part of the skin. Healthy cell membranes lead to a soft, moist, flexible and wrinkle free skin. Also EPA is in different ways good for the skin, including for:
• De production of skin fat
• Taking care of the fluid balance in the skin
• The prevention of hyperkeratinisation of hair follicles (leads to i.a the small red pockmarks that are sometimes noticeable on the upper arms)
• The prevention of acne
Omega 3 can also protect the skin against sun damage. EPA helps with combatting of issuance of substances that affect the collagen in the sin after exposure to the sun.
4. Omega 3 fish oil is good for the endocrine disruption.
EPA, one of the fat acids in fat fish, has a proven favorable influence on hormonal fluctuations, like during menstruation, pregnancy and the menopause. EPA serves as an ingredient for a number of substances that affect the production of different hormones and enzymes.
When and how do you use fish oil?
Fish oil often appears in the form of a (soft) capsule. It is best to take the capsule right before the meal, with a glass of water. You can’t take fish oil with a cup of tea or another hot beverage, because then the fat acids can oxidize.
Where do you have to look out for when buying fish oil?
When you are purchasing fish oil, there are a few things to pay attention to. Firstly, you have to pay attention to the levels of the EPA and DHA of the oil. To be allowed to claim that the product is a source of omega-3 fat acids, there has to be a minimum of 40 grams EPA and DHA per 100 grams, like our Natriche Cholesterol. On the packaging is stated how much percent of the oil consist of EPA and DHA. The higher that percentage, the higher the concentration.